Before going vegan, my son and I often hit Panda Express for the Honey Walnut Shrimp. This was back when I could not cook, and I would burn a pizza in the oven. Lol, That's entirely another story.
Making this recipe, I realized what I enjoyed the most about the dish were the sweet/savory flavor and the crunchy walnuts. I was never a big fan of the texture of shrimp. Remaking this recipe with Lion's Mane gives me the best of all worlds. I enjoyed the flavor and texture, and it is vegan.
If you are looking for Lion's Mane Mushroom, try these places in your area. Farmer's Markets, Specialty Stores, Local Growers, or grow your own at home using a mushroom kit. I got mine from Golden Mushrooms here in San Diego. Check them out. ⬆️
22 - 24 Skrimps
1/4 pound of Lion's Mane
1/2 cup Vegan Avacado Mayo
2 Tbsp Maple
2 Tbsp of Coconut cream
2/3 cup of flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup + 1 Tbsp sparkling water
2 tsp minced onion
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp of minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp vanilla
Garnish with green onions
1. Pull apart Lion's Mane into shrimp-like-sized pieces.
2. Create the batter.
3. Cook the vegan butter, brown sugar, and vanilla on medium until melted. Add walnuts. Cook the walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes at 370 degrees. Place the to the side to cool down.
4. Mix ingredients for the creamy sauce
5. Dip Lion's Mane pieces into the batter.
6. Fry at 370 degrees (I love to use grape
seed oil for frying)
7. Toss skrimpz with creamy sauce and add candied walnuts.
8. Sprinkle with green onions, and enjoy!